Take action now to support the fight for fair & equal financial services using the links below.
1. Sign our Petition
Join the Coalition by signing our Open Letter for Fair Financial Services & the creation of an LGBTQ FCU. Your signature helps the Coalition make the case to decision-makers that LGBTQ communities demand fair & equal treatment.
2. Support Our Work
Community support drives forward the organizing magic at the Coalition. Donate to support our organizing, education, and research and help us create more fair & equal financial services for all.
You can join with our Coalition organizers by supporting through volunteering, or participating in the Coalition’s surveys.
Businesses, nonprofits, and community groups can also join as Coalition members, as well as sponsors, or partners for Coalition programs & events.
Our Coalition of individual consumers, businesses, nonprofits, municipal entities and community groups affirms our mutual support for the creation of fairer and more equal financial services for LGBTQ individuals, businesses, & communities through the formation of an LGBTQ Federal Credit Union (FCU).
We recommend that organizers, community groups, the NCUA, & decision-makers move swiftly to create and approve a charter proposal for a Federal Credit Union which can provide services to LGBTQ communities.
We offer this recommendation in light of the following facts about LGBTQ economic wellbeing & access to financial services:
- LGBTQ-identifying persons continue to experience recognized and widespread discrimination in and exclusion from employment, housing, and insurance markets.
- Financial insecurity and inability to access financial and retirement planning which is informed and specific saps LGBTQ individuals’ savings for retirement and longevity.
- LGBTQ individuals suffer under discriminatory treatment by staff and LGBTQ-insensitive procedures and requirements at mainstream financial institutions.
- LGBTQ communities’ historically and culturally significant districts and businesses in America’s cities are jeopardized by discrimination, exclusion, and inability to compete for credit and property investment.
More fair and equal financial services by an FCU can help LGBTQ members overcome these financial obstacles. An LGBTQ FCU will offer its depositors & borrowers several benefits which are unavailable at “traditional” banks, thrifts, and credit unions, including:
- Not-for-profit checking and credit based on culturally competent non-discriminatory procedures & underwriting, offering more relevant and beneficial products and services.
- Affordable mortgages & auto loans, saving borrowers on interest for other productive uses.
- Reasonable financing for LGBTQ-serving organizations, promoting their sustainability & goals.
- LGBTQ financial & retirement planning, sensitive to unique financial concerns of LGBTQ households
- Gender-affirming, adoption, & fertility loans, for treatments left uncovered by insurance gaps.
- A virtuous circle of investment in LGBTQ households, businesses, and communities, by sharing, growing, & keeping wealth in the family.